Friday, August 1, 2008

Catch-Up Pictures...

Here are the pictures from the last two weeks. I took the liberty of just posting the highlights. That, and I had a heck of a time uploading these tonight for some reason.

View from the main entrance, which will be the view from the foyer when entering the house. With the floors mostly clear and the walls down, you can see straight to the back wall. So open and light...

Looking up in the kitchen to see the underside of the roof. I like all the angles. I wish there was an economical way to open this up, but it's more practical to leave it like it is.

Kitchen: wall with the window. The window will pretty much stay in the same place, but will be taller than this window. You can see there used to be double windows in this room, too. My sink will go under the window.

A semi wrap-around view. Still playing with kitchen layouts. I'll tell you why in a bit.

The little closet juts out on the back porch. I'm entertaining the idea of having a similar closet in its place, a shallow pantry. Notice the 'new' wood and plumbing to the right of it? This is one of the original doorways to the back porch. At some point it was closed in and a craptastic bathroom was built there. There will be a door here going out to the back porch from the kitchen.

This is the top part of the back wall of the kitchen, right above the closet/pantry area. It all pretty much needs to be replaced, along with the back porch on the other side of it.

View looking from the kitchen back to the front of the house. See all the light? and the openness? This is what keeps making me think twice about my kitchen layout. Should this wall become a half wall? It will give me a technically smaller kitchen and less upper cabinets, but it sure would be a nice feature to the house...

My contractor pulled the carpet in what will be the master bedroom. This is the floor. It's pieced with plywood on the left hand side. I didn't have high hopes for it anyway. Moving on...

In the master bedroom, looking towards the back of the house... what will be the master closet and storage for the whole house.

Close up of the back wall in the closet room. A lot of the studs here will have to be replaced, same story as the kitchen. This part of the house has the sill that sits on dirt, and the leaky craptastic bathroom is immediately to the left of this picture, on the other side of the wall.

This is where you learn what I mean by craptastic. I'll give you one guess as to where the toilet was. Hint: look for the moldy, toilet tank-shaped spot on the wall. You really can't miss it. Make sure you note the daylight in the upper right hand corner--- that's the back porch. This will all eventually live in the dumpster, never to haunt my house again.

A close up of the same bathroom, note the baseboards, people! How great does that floor look? Do you think its sagging at all? completely. disgusting. filth.

Since we're on this bathroom kick, let's look at the other bathroom, and where the new one will go back:
From left to right, (before) closet space, doorway/hall/sink, then small room with shower unit and toilet. Lovely.

Two shallow closets were here, side by side, opening into opposite rooms.

This used to be a short hall, closet on the left. Then they closed the doorway and plopped a sink down with a mirror above it.

Turn to your right while standing in front of the sink and you see this, where the shower was. It had to be cut out in sections. Look, ma! No floor below it! Nice plumbing job. Love the wallpaper.

And right next to the shower, in the same little small room, was the toilet.


This whole area will become the house's only bath. I plan on having a bath tub unit with a shower, a long vanity, big mirror, single sink, toilet alcove, and a washer, dryer, utility area behind doors. The whole area is about 10'x 11'.



Head on view of all three bathroom areas, and don't forget this bathroom will also include the hallway that runs behind it:

It may not seem like much, but a lot has been going on since my contractor started. I'm very pleased with the results so far and can't wait to get more accomplished.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoah - I'm..just, uh..speechless. Can't wait to see progress pictures though!

Erin said...

I'm glad you're getting somewhere with your place! I wish I had the patience to do all that to a place.

59 Penny Lane Vintage said...

I just stumbled upon your site while searching for Yard Crew, as I am about to embark on my own remodeling project myself, anyways, couldn't stop myself from being nosy... You are my kind of guy.. Congratulations, I will be anxious to see your progress thru finished home unroll before my eyes on your blog site. Great idea, I think I will do the same... You want to talk about some depressing project stop breaks, Oh my... I live with and care for my 83 yr old blind frail mother, whom resides in the home with me of which I am about to enlarge and renovate. Anyways, we got project blocked last April, when we were conned by a crooked lawyer into handing him 120,000.00 for what was to be 2 to 3 days max. Now were battling it out in a probate court, yah, ugly stuff.... i keep my spirits alive, and our dreams active, these days, by doing and planning smaller less costly projects all by myself, I am just about done with installing 575 sf of Virginia Oak laminate flooring, Not what I would have purchased originally, but i am pretty picky, and i must say, you can hardly see the difference between my laminate at 1.47 sf and the real strip virginia oak flooring at 8.00 to 12.00 sf. Next I attack the Replacement of all windows & Doors. I'm thinking of adding a livable Sun Room, instead of the intended timber frame and gable open beam ceiling m/bdm and great room, with m/ba room addition that we had intended.
Anyways... this is what I love doing in life. Mom and I have been doing homes like yours and ours since 1969, when I was only 9 yrs old, she had me on the roof learning to hot mop and roll tar paper..that was a wonderful 1940's 1000sf craftsman home with a porch that ran the whole front of the home and was supported by four large round french columns, and three sets of double french doors that opened into each room that was livable, what a deal $11,000. and sold three yrs later for 28000.00, featured in Better Homes and Gardens I am told... I've been hooked on Home Renovating ever since. So, enough about me and my project, just thought I'd introduce myself, by the way, my name is Penny, my blog site is 1959VintagePennyLane.com at windows live bloggs and 59 Penny Lane Vintage / google blogger I'm new to blogging but writing is one of my other passions.. Keep up the Creative Wit, and I am sure you will have a wonderful and successful home fit for a King when you are done..
HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THE BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS REMODEL YOUR HOME CONTEST, First Prise is $40,000.00 CASH and features your home in the BH & G Magazine. Pick up last months copy for details.
P.S., I havn't noticed where you are located yet? I am in California, and this is an attempt to build equity for us while satisfying the need to keep mom at home in her home with me. We go together, don't much care for nursing homes. Anyways, thinking someday, of heading towards South Carolina, or maybe... North Carolina..and then I will build my dream Craftsman Bungalow... Thanks for sharing your home remodeling project... penny, aka; PennywiseVintage... Peace and may the Force be with you..l.o.l