Another 11.5 hours of work got me from here:
(front of one set of lower cabinet doors)
And the back side:
And the other set, front:
I also began working on the opposite side of the base cabinet, the one with damage.
There's a chunk missing of the lower right hand side. When I used the wire brush on it, it began chipping away due to past water rot or termite damage. I found no active bugs, though. Or dead ones.
Sheetrock Guy is actually a master carpenter. He came over this afternoon to give me some prices on materials for the job and suggest a flooring material. I showed him the my project and he said he could rip down a piece of heart pine, which my Dad has, and create a piece of moulding to cover or camouflage the damage, rather than replacing the whole piece or trying to piece it in.
Once I'd seen the extent of the damage I was let down a bit, but now I have renewed encouragement to continue on because of his solution. It may not cover it completely, but I'm okay with that. It just goes to show the piece has history.
I was actively working on this side when I realized it was after midnight. I decided it was time to clean up, shower, and blog. Especially since I have to work tomorrow.