Tuesday, April 7, 2009

on doorways and floor joists...

Yesterday I had one of the Flu Contractors come back and put a doorway into the little bedroom. This is a load bearing wall, and although there was a door here to begin with, it was closed up when the P.O. (Previous Owner) divided the house into the 2 apartments. So I had a licensed contractor come out and open this back up for me to satisfy City Hall. I shouldn't complain too much about City Hall because I know the new law was put in place to protect me, the homeowner. It was basically put into effect after the tornado two years ago when a lot of shady contractors from out of town (and out of state) came in and ripped people off. But its still annoying.


The new doorway is on the left. Next to it was another old doorway. I don't really know why the P.O.'s went back and forth on doorways into this little room... It's nice to have a doorway here, though, instead of walking through studs. The door on the right is what is serving as my front door, and will be where the new front door goes back. It was in Apartment B.


Front door again. Note the closed in upper section. Either this doorway had a transom or was a window or something. The doorways with transoms are the same height as the windows, that's why I say that. This doorway will have a transom again because...


This is Apartment A's front door. It lives in the little bedroom we just saw. This wall will be a solid wall and the exterior trim and moulding (and transom) will be used on the front door, which we just saw. The current front door's moulding and trim will be used for the back door in the kitchen.


The floor in the master bedroom is up. The demo contractors started here because sections of it were already gone, and then the Flu Contractors had to take even more out to replace the sills in adjoining rooms.


Same room, this is taken from the room's doorway in the kitchen, the wall I had the Flu Contractors move. See where the old wall rested on the sill?


So not a lot happening this week at the house. Hopefully my demo contractors will work on the house this weekend, again, ripping up the rest of the floors and maybe even starting on rebuilding the piers for the foundation.

Oh, and it makes sense now why there was so much trash up under my house. When it rains, there have been small streams that form from the rainwater running downhill up under my house. So it makes sense that trash would ride in the rainwater, too. Unfortunately these rainwater streams have also wreaked havoc on my pier foundations and so they all need to be completely replaced. It's been going on for almost a hundred years, since the house was built.


I hope it doesn't really take the whole six months that both the Flu Contractor and the demo guys estimated for me, separately, to get the house in move-in condition.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.