Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Day 4 brings Doorways

Walking up to the front porch today after work, I immediately saw proof of the work being done.

The contractors had made a makeshift sawhorse/workbench. Look at all that progress on the floor!


When I walked in, I immediately looked up and saw that the contractors had replaced the ceiling rafter where the chimney for the fireplace was. This particular section of rafter had been pieced together all sorts of ways when the house was built, and was stable, but once the chimney came down, the pieces kind of scissored apart.


When I looked down, I noticed the glow of daylight from outside. I decided to go back in the yard to investigate this.


I passed this pile the way; obviously the sill here had failed, too. This is the same wall that was bowed out in the kitchen and had been rebuilt.


They did a good job of it, though. It looks like they came down this wall until they found good wood, and then kept going just for good measure. This was a happy find. I'm glad the contractors are as thorough as they are.


Back inside I found DOORWAYS! for the bathroom and the utility room. I think this wall is almost finished, if not already.


Straight ahead, we find the back doorway framed up. It lines up nicely with the kitchen doorway from the great room, and once the back porch is finished being demoed, it will be a really nice view.


The wall between the kitchen and master bedroom was also moved today, out about a foot. This may not seem like much, but in a small room it will make a big difference. Otherwise this space would just have been wasted 'walk-by' space in the kitchen, due to all the doorways.


Same wall, opposite view. You can see the old wall more clearly here, still in place. They had to build the new wall before taking down the old. They also moved the door from the center of the wall to one corner, to allow more wall space in the room for furniture.


A top-down picture, here. My foot is on the old wall, the new one is in front of me. It's a solid foot gained, maybe a few inches more. I'm glad we could do this.


Here is a view of the wall and doorway going into the master closet. It's a little room, but it will be a big closet. I don't have much storage space in the house, and the attic will be taken up by duct work, so this will be overflow storage as well as a huge closet.


This is a random shot of a piece of dead wood I found on the floor. I wish you could have seen it in person, it literally feathers out like bad 80's hair. It was more air than anything. It's scary to think this was somewhere in my house, supporting something.


So much difference a day makes! Already I'm awaiting tomorrow's work.

No comments: