Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Day 3

Today was Day THREE with the Flu Contractor, and I could hardly keep myself from the house in anticipation of what might be going on and getting done. I stayed away, though, and out of the contractors' way, until I knew they'd be done for the day. Plus we'd scheduled a meeting with an electrician down at the house in the afternoon, so I waited semi-patiently. After the electrician left, I began taking pictures...


This is the corner of the closet of the master bedroom, where they replaced the sills. The contractors also began sister-ing the old studs to new ones.


Now we've turned around to face the opposite corner and here you see the previously finished floor substructure and sills running between the closet and master bedroom and, in the distance, the rebuilt back wall in the kitchen.


Same new wall in the kitchen, with its new sill. To the right is what is left of the back porch and a pile of debris. Straight ahead is the bowed out wall in the kitchen.


This corner looks like a mess, and it is, but it's where the wall we were just on and the bowed out wall meet, but there's something different from yesterday--- the wall has been jacked up and leveled...


And the studs here have been sister-ed, too. But the bowed out wall...


Has been reattached to the house! And the sill has been repaired! I kind of wish I had stopped in today just to see how they accomplished this feat.


You might remember this picture angle from yesterday, but today the joists are definitely attached and the wall is flush with the house and level and perfect. You may see some odd lumber here and there and supports, but that's what's left from their maneuvering today.


This is a shot from farther away of the back wall of the kitchen, the one in the process of being rebuilt, and Daddy checking out the workmanship. The right corner has been brought up, as has the left, but the middle still sags a bit, but the pier here had deteriorated and the contractors haven't built a new one back yet.


All in all, an extremely productive day. I had a very good bid from the electrician, and I'm pretty sure I'll go with him. I'd gotten another bid a while back, and this new guy came in much lower, mainly because the extent of the demo has left the house open and exposed, as it would be in a new home, so he's giving me the 'new build' price.


I also bought my first piece of furniture for the house today, but I'll save that for another post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks good. Keep the pictures coming.

Building Renovations said...

great photos, your house is worth waiting for a great renovation.. keep putting photos.