Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday brings problems...

As Marcus-the-Mighty and Amos were finishing up the Sheetrock Friday, guess who shows up? The Building Inspector for the city. No, not the one I've been working with for the last four years, or the Really Old Guy that everyone was waiting on to retire (he did). But a NEW Building Inspector.

I was at work. But New Inspector says everything looks okay, except my Building Permit has expired (last year) and that my bedroom windows don't meet code.

Excuse me?

Yes.

My bedroom windows don't meet fire code. In case of an emergency, every bedroom has to have two exits, the doorway and an operable window. I could hear him adjusting his pocket protector as he quoted me from whatever manual he uses.

So. It doesn't matter that Really Old Guy and Other Inspector signed off on EVERYTHING before I put insulation up. The plumbing, electrical, air conditioning, load bearing walls that were moved, foundation, the flooring system...

My bedroom windows don't meet code. So I have to take them out. And replace the newly refinished, freshly painted, re-glazed, original, but inoperable, complete with new storm windows, bedroom windows, with THREE new ones. That work. And open. That a person escaping a fire or really bad gas can escape out of, or a burglar can step into.

Sigh.

A headboard would've looked so nice tucked right under there.
Notice the completely finished Sheetrock above, below, around the window.


This one, too. Will be gone.

The prettiest thing about my house, to me, is the light, and the windows.

This is a battle I will not win. I made sure, though 101 years old, that this house was NOT in the historic district, so I wouldn't have to fight with THOSE guys.

Instead, I have to fight with New Inspector. Or surrender.

I already renewed my Building Permit. Which is ridiculous. Do you know how many permits I've had these past 4 years?

Two steps forward, one step back.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you have to replace all your bedroom windows. You just need to have one of the windows be an egress window. Looks like the single one would be wide enough and so you would need to make it longer. If you go with double hung, then it would probably be twice as long as it is now. I think the clear opening has to be around 20 x 22 (check you local code). Window sellers will generally know if it is qualifies for egress. Good luck.

Pradeep said...

I have been visiting your blog! It is nice!! Articles are excellent.
Please visit my blog too
It is http://bhandaripradeep.blogspot.com

Right destination for everyone

Juliane said...

Looking good!

Anonymous said...

I thought you gave up on the house and blog. I'm glad I checked it and found such great progress going and not so good news with the bedroom windows. Inspectors can be...either friend or foe. What I don't understand is that I don't recall you actually replacing your windows with new windows. That these are the original windows to this 101 year old home - this was how the home was built and designed - so I am confused that this has become an issue when it wasn't before.

I guess for me this always hits a nerve because the bldg dept could be so much more helpful with the folks who pay their paychecks and most of the time they act like our enemy. I wish you luck in this.

cctv karachi said...

I like the design of your blog very much. It looks like a page from fairy tale. I’m really impressed!

cctv karachi said...

I like the design of your blog very much. It looks like a page from fairy tale. I’m really impressed!

Uhu work said...
This comment has been removed by the author.