Thursday, July 19, 2007

Demo Day 5

Demo Day 5
07/14/07

We find ourselves at Demo Day 5. It doesn't seem like there's only been 5 Demo Days, but at the same time for what we've been able to accomplish... we've done a lot! It seems like more should have passed. Last time I left with a picture of this loverly dumpster:

And on Demo Day 5, we begin to fill it up. It'll be a slower process this time around. The house hasn't been cleaned since the last time I rented a dumpster. And by cleaned, I mean, one can see the floor. There's all sorts of deconstruction debris lying everywhere... woodwork, mantels, doors, bricks, mortar, drywall, plaster, tools, etc. You name it, it's there. So on this day my good friend and I set out to 'clean'.


Random shot. Looking into bathroom area in Apartment B. You'll see what's in store for this area next.

It was a Demo Day, after all... I couldn't resist tearing down something. Now you can see into this bathroom from the bedroom on Apartment B's side. Not pleasant, I know, but I'm glad the wall's down. I haven't ventured much into the demo of the bathrooms because I don't know much about plumbing... yet. And the last thing I need is Old Faithful springing up in the middle of my house.


We cleaned up this back room, the bedroom, in Apartment A. Notice the shovels? We used 2 5-gallon buckets and a small blue bucket that we found on the property randomly. I had THREE 5-gallon buckets, but I believe the roofers accidentally took one. Or it's buried somewhere in the rubble of the house.


This is the kitchen in Apartment A. See the floor? You couldn't before. It doesn't look like we accomplished much, but we did. We had to tote all the debris out in the buckets to the dumpster. It took us about 3 hours to get it this clean. It was hot, really hot, that day, too.


We managed to clear out the weird hallway on Apartment A's side, as well. Apartment A is almost completely cleaned out, now. All we lack is the front room, which you can see at the end of the hallway. It's mostly clear, anyway, just has woodwork stacked in it. We purposefully started on this side of the house because it was a longer walk to the dumpster. The more progress we made, the less further we had to walk...

Special notes from this day:
*buying another box fan was a wonderful idea.
*as well as the extension cords to power it.
*but what made the most difference was the purchase, and use, of a cheap radio. It made the work day go by so much better!

------

I have a finalized floor plan for the house, now. Before it was divided into two apartments, split down the middle of the house, each with a front room, bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom. The new plan is a two bedroom, one bath house. Maybe next time I'll be able to post a sketch of the floor plan.

I'm glad to finally be caught up with retro-posting the Demo Days in this blog. From here on out, I will try to post the week following the Demo Day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! You are actually getting things done. I'll quit giving you a hard time now. Well.....maybe.

Anonymous said...

Oh and I didn't get credit for the bigger, better, cheaper dumpster?

Juliane said...

Are you going to show us the house plans before and after? Hint, hint.

Eugene Head said...

Wow! That is such a beautiful house! The sidings, the porch and the paint look lovely. The roof looks great. It fits your house perfectly. What's more, it looks ready to take on anything, from searing heat to winter cold.