Thursday, July 19, 2007

NEW ROOF!

NEW ROOF
06/29/07 - 07/02/07

I work full time so I only have the weekends to renovate. I'm tackling most of the demo work myself, with the aid of my family and friends, to save as much money as I can. That way, when I hire the professionals to put it all back together, I'll have extra money for upgrades. Plus, it's fun. Demo is hard, but it sure is fun.

At the end of June my roofers were available to come work on my house so I ushered them over. All the work they did took place while I was out of town, but they had already put a new roof on my sister's and parents' tornado damaged homes (and since mine, have also put a new roof on my other sister's house!). Plus I had my dad and relatives drive by the check the progress. I would rather have been here for the whole thing, but I had established plans that I couldn't break.

Here's a reminder of what the old roof looked like:


------
And on to the NEW...


Narrow house, narrow lot. So, a side angle, looking west towards the house.


Same angle. Don't you love my overgrown yard? They had to replace a lot of the roof decking on the back of the house, due to rot. But all's well; I expected it.


Now get excited with me about this shot... That's a nice looking roof, right? C'mon compliment it!


They used 30-year, architectural shingles. Well worth the money, I think. By the way, this was my first big house-renovation purchase. Didn't hurt too much--- Look at the results!

And a farther-away shot, from across the street. Even my neighbors have been complimenting my new roof. It makes the house look so much better! And now it looks like I'm actually doing something with it, since all the other renovations have been inside the house. Just think how good it's going to look once it's painted...

But not anytime soon. I have more work to do inside. Look what showed up on 07/08/07:


Yep, time to get serious about demo, again. Oh, and I did not use the same company to rent this one as the first. I like it because I didn't have to deal with the customer representative from hell again, it has higher sides, and the end swings open so one can walk inside. And I got a better deal. Can't beat that!

8 comments:

ana said...

I would love to see your finished project. How do I find it?

garywayne said...

It's actually a work still in progress. My house blog is http://garywayne.blogspot.com/

Dafne Buelow said...

Congratulations on getting your new roof. It's really not surprising why your neighbors complement your roof, as it looks great.

Rodney Orton said...

That new color is absolutely beautiful! It looks better with your wall color than the brown. Those architectural shingles are a unique choice, but they definitely look good, and it’s a great point of conversation. Congratulations on your first big home renovation!

Unknown said...

Rodney has a point. The color definitely made your house look very modern. And it complemented the color of your house’s exteriors nicely. Are there any new renovations in your house? Keep us updated! :)

Nelson Kamaka

Rolf Matchen said...

The second photo is a winner! The place is a perfect, refreshing escape from the daily stress of the bustling city. The combination of light colors adds to the brightness of the roof deck. Visually revitalizing, indeed! :)

Unknown said...

Rolf has a good point! Thinking about what kind of aura your house would exude is an important thing to consider in choosing your housing materials. It would be a good reward every time you’ll come home, and the relaxing and refreshing ambiance of your house would welcome you. And those are really nice shingles!

Norbert Floth

Unknown said...

The transformation was remarkable! We also had our roof replaced late last year, and we were very satisfied with the services done by the roofing company we hired@ http://www.townandcountryroofingwa.com/. Their roofers were all very professional and you wouldn’t regret spending your money on their service.