Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Moulding, Door, and Woodwork Inventory

Demo Day 6
07/20/2007

On Demo Day 6 I also went around the house taking pictures of the moulding still in place. This entry will be more of a picture diary than anything else. I wanted to capture what the mouldings looked like so I'd know about what to put back. They aren't extremely fancy mouldings but I just want it to be done right, you know?


This is specifically of the corner. See the piece of wood there? You'll be able to see it in more detail in other pictures.


Corner of a window, noting the side pieces, sill (I believe is what it's called) and apron (piece running along the bottom). I'm not 100% sure of the terminology...


The center, bottom of a set of double windows.

The center, top of the same set of double windows.


Corner of windows, also seen on some interior doors. A simple 'rosette'. This one is damaged, but you get the idea.

Another corner piece of moulding. I know these were in some houses, added after replacing the plaster with drywall... But behind all the moulding in the house, I still find plaster. Whoever changed out the wall material obviously took shortcuts.


Simple detail at the bottom of a door casing. A thicker piece, rounded at the top and taller (I think) than the baseboard beside it would have been. I'll have to check on that.


One of the smaller windows in the house, in the back kitchen of Apartment B. This is not an original window, I know by its size and because the outside house siding is patched in this area- this used to be a double window. But I think the moulding is original, simply cut down to size. It was probably reused more for reduced cost rather than aesthetics.


This is taken inside a closet in the kitchen of Apartment B. Original closet, you can see the plaster still in place. Note the baseboard moulding, especially the corner pieces. It has to be original, this detail.

A picture of the crown moulding in the kitchen of Apartment B. Had the people before me not been looking for such a quick fix, these pieces wouldn't have been left for me to find. Even though their workmanship isn't salvageable, at least they didn't completely destroy what was originally there.

This is a picture of the picture moulding, discussed in the previous blog. It was found above a dropped ceiling. I hope I can put this detail back in all the rooms in the house.


This is an intact door moulding, from one of the less formal rooms in the back of the house. Nothing in the little house is extravagant, but I like the clean lines and simplicity of the mouldings used.

------
Door Inventory

I want to be able to salvage these heavy wooden doors, if possible. But I needed to take note of what doors I actually have, which ones can be reused, and which ones match. Because some of them don't.

Front door, Apartment A. This is the only door with a transom above it. I think I may try to save the transom and reuse it above my new front door. This is a full size door with horizontal panels. Only one like it in the house (meaning its size), besides the smaller coal closet doors you'll see in a bit.

Weird hallway door, Apartment A. This door might be okay, but not a first pick. Has been extensively drilled for doorknobs and locks, not to mention been exposed to direct weather outside for many, many years.

Another sad door. Somebody decided they wanted a dutch type door, so they made one themselves by sawing this one in half. Only they didn't hinge it correctly and chunks of the door were damaged when they sawed it in half. Probably not usable. Door to bedroom in Apartment A.

Small coal closet door in Apartment A. This door is narrow and comes up to my nose. I have a few of these and am trying to think of a creative way to use them. A headboard, maybe? Wall paneling? A screen? We'll see.

This door is off the hinge and was resting upside down. So I flipped the picture so it can be seen correctly. This is the way the doors were hung, and I will hang them the same way. This door should be usable.

Another usable door, I believe, in the bathroom of Apartment A.

This is the back of the front door of Apartment B. This door has seen heavy use and abuse, but hopefully I'll be able to reuse it somewhere else in the house.

Another coal closet door. I hope I can come up with a use for these doors. They're too short for practical use in the house.

Another usable door that was in Apartment B, behind the mantel. Anyone have creative uses for old mantels?

Another coal closet door. This and the one before it were in those two closets on either side of the fireplace that once was.

This door is not original to the house. It is of a later design style, but it is still a wooden door. I might be able to use it somewhere inconspicuously in the house, such as for a closet door. But I wouldn't want to use it, say, in a hallway, where several doors would be open to one room.

Another upside down picture, same reasons as before. I think this door will be usable, too.

And we find the last coal closet type door in the house.

Running count, hopefully 5 matching usable doors. Maybe another usable one. And at least one more to be used in a separate area of the house.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love the picture molding that you found in part of the house. My house has picture molding in it and I love the "old-fashionedness" of it. I also like the idea of using the short coal doors for either a hinged decorative screen or they would probably make good headboards. An idea I have for the old mantel is to cut off the legs of it and use it as a decorative shelf in your house, that way you could keep it even though it wouldn't be used for its original purpose.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.