Friday, March 20, 2009

dumpster M.I.A.

Tuesday morning on my way to work, I noticed that the construction dumpster that usually resides outside my house was gone. I hadn't called to have them dump it, as it was only a quarter-ways full, if that.

I called the dumpster company and they tell me that there was a vehicle accident in front of my house (minor, I'm positive) and that the people involved blamed the line-of-sight and view blockage of my dumpster, since it was parked in the street. The police called the dumpster company and asked them to remove it.

Now, I have had a dumpster outside my house sometimes for weeks at a time, and never have there been any problems. If you use common sense while driving, there isn't an issue. The street is a pretty slow street anyway, and is kind of on a hill, so you can see far enough ahead of you to tell what traffic is like...

Anyway, no charge for the dumpster removal. For the actual dumping, I'm not sure. And no charge to bring a dumpster back, when I need it again. Since I have no driveway, I guess I'll have to start a yard pile of stuff to be hauled away, then when the pile gets big enough, rent a dumpster for the day and fill it and dump it ASAP.

Fun note of the day: someone (bad neighbors) threw an old-school, huge projection tv in my dumpster last week. And also some old broken children's toys in my backyard, which was clean. I know the tv was theirs because it was seen, by multiple people, outside their house. I wouldn't be surprised if the dumpster/car fiasco had something to do with them as well.

...

I took a potential licensed contractor on a walk through of the house about two weeks ago. Still haven't heard from him. Left him a voice mail yesterday morning, but he hasn't returned my call yet. I guess tomorrow I'll start calling other licensed contractors and setting up times to meet.

I am pretty good at staying optimistic but these setbacks lately have really taken a toll on me. It feels like every time I get excited about the house again, something else pops up and brings me back down.

Maybe timing is everything. And, like I've said many times before, I have more time than money at this point. But it sure is frustrating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in their and shop, shop, shop for a contractor. We called 4 contractors for our basement rebuild. Interviewed all 4. Think of it as an job interview. When the setting up appointments ask them for their portfolio, it will give you an idea if the contractor is someone you can work with. A good contractor has a portfolio, they are proud of their work. The other thing is references of prior jobs.