Monday, March 9, 2009

picture update, problem review

This is the view of the great room from the centered double windows (behind the camera). What you mainly see is the dining area, but the camera can't capture the real size of this room. Beyond the studded wall, you can see my demo contractor and his helper working in the kitchen.


I have two of these fireplace mantels, from the defunct fireplaces I had to tear down. I want to do something with at least one of them, but I'm not sure yet what to do. I'm not thinking faux fireplace, here. I'm thinking some kind of shelf, or mirror... or... I don't know yet.


This is the original floor in the small bedroom off the great room. It is the only floor so far that has been even remotely salvageable. I'll have to replace two boards, hopefully from another part of the house. I'd like to refinish this floor.


We're in the great room looking into the bathroom. The demo is complete here, almost. All the plaster and little walls and closets, etc are gone. The back wall between the bathroom and the hallway is still present, but that wall will be taken down and used in the bathroom.


This is the view from the hallway of the bathroom floor. Here you can see where the floor joists failed and where the sill is damaged. This will have to replaced, pretty much the whole floor structure, too.


This is the rest of the floor. I think it speaks for itself. (fun game: look for the stump!)


This is the master bedroom, looking into the closet. The doorway off the closet will be closed; it currently leads out into, what was, the craptastic bathroom for apartment 1. The sills in the closet area are in questionable condition. More exploration is needed determine if they need replacing.


Here we're in the kitchen, finally able to look out into the back porch, half of which is where the hot water heaters lived and half of which was turned into the previously mentioned bathroom. The immediate wall will have to be rebuilt, everything beyond it demoed. The screened-in porch will most likely not be immediately rebuilt.


I just though this was a fun picture. You can see the exterior siding that ran along the side of the small closet/pantry in the kitchen for apartment 2. This was closed in (poorly) for the bath.


We're looking through what was the pantry area in the kitchen, beyond it onto the back-porch. The porch was a later addition in the house's life. I really like this picture, because if you remember, the porch has been inaccessible from the house for at least 20 years, I'm guessing.


At some point, they needed to fix the floor of the pantry. So they tacked up a strip of wood along the base moulding and laid a piece of plywood down. And covered it with linoleum. Of course.


This is the other wall in the kitchen, the one under the window. This wall is separating from the house, to put it mildly. But along with the patch job in the pantry, the P.O. "patched" this wall, too, by replacing the sill and building a new pier up under the part of the detached wall that bows out.

...

So those are the latest pictures and latest problems. I'm still waiting to hear back from the licensed contractor that I showed the house to last week. I know that these images are a lot to take in, but they also represent a lot of progress. I see see the potential, I am still optimistic about the outcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

one word - WOW!