Monday, March 30, 2009

Work done! New lumber! Sawdust!

This is what greeted me when I came up the steps to the front porch. Sawdust!

The Flu Contractor started working on my house last Friday (03/27/09). Here are the pictures I took once I got off of work and they were done for the day and weekend. They work 8am-4pm, Monday through Friday, and chose to start on a Friday because the weather rained them out of their other projects.

I was very cheerful all day and beyond ecstatic because the work of putting back had begun. So far with the house, everything I'd done was taking away. All good, like taking away the two apartments, taking away the gross kitchens and bathrooms, taking away the storm damaged roof, taking away the jungle in the back yard, taking away the bamboo... But last Friday, I began putting back.

I don't think anyone has ever been as excited as I was to see scrap lumber last Friday...


And once I was inside the door, I found this, new lumber! So, being the dork about my house that I am, I took a picture. Apparently I have no shame when it comes to my house.


This is most definitely picture-worthy, though. New sills, a couple of new foundation piers, and the beginnings of new framing for a new floor in the bathroom. New, new, new!


Here we are at the kitchen door, looking at the complete absence of a back wall to the house. Unless you count the little section of three studs and exterior siding on the back porch.


I squirreled across the kitchen floor joists to get a closer look. This mesmerized me for some reason. I think it was a twist on reality. I knew what had been there, and what should be there, but nothing was there. Just air.


I'm about twelve feet over now, in the master bedroom, looking at another lack of wall and lack of floor. I knew this was all coming out, the rotten wood in order to fix it but, I just... some things you can't imagine.


Looking down to your right from the view above, at the cuts made and the new floor in progress. Again, this is the floor of what will be the master closet.


I'm back now to the center of the house, on the other side of the new bathroom floor. I'm in the hallway/old enclosed side porch which will donate its space to the bathroom.


It was getting dark at this point, so I locked up and came home, my imagination running wild with what it would look like in a week, or a month, or three months. Of how long would it actually take to get it looking like a house again...

No comments: