Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Paint Quest 2nd+1/2 Attempt

It was late and rainy when I got off of work. And dark. But I braved these things for pictures because there is actually a little bit of color on the house and I don't know what to think about it.

See the double windows on the front porch? The white trim? It looks weird. Not because it's bad, but because I have never seen the house with light trim. Ever. It's always been that dark green.

Up close, you have to ignore the overwhelming slightly yellowish siding color. The white is actually pretty, it's a nice white, but it's not stark. It's called Antique White, aptly so. This is one of the double windows up close.

And the pair, one unfinished. It's different to see paint up that I didn't do myself. I just told New Guy what colors I was thinking, and today they're starting to go up. Or maybe these are samples, I'm not sure.

I kept playing with my flash, trying to get a better idea of the color from the dark, rainy night.


Inside was cold and dark, but not wet. They worked on the windows a lot today, obviously, so no huge changes. But this is the kitchen window, and I did notice that they fixed the siding here--- remember where the two square openings were on either side of the window?


And they framed in the doorway that was the front door in the Foyer. But there were two ladders below it and this is a bad picture, but you see the new wood. Did I mention it was dark in the house?


I was just too distracted by the paint colors to stay inside long. So back out to the front porch, I went. I like these colors. They are a lot better than the first ones I picked out.


I just don't know. I really need to see it in daylight, and probably with two coats of paint. And with the body color. It's a softer look so far than what was in my head, but that could be good difference. I want it to look sophisticated and classic, but also young with a nod towards the whole craftsman thing.

And I can tell you this, though, I am extremely, terribly, wonderfully glad that I kept these windows. Because they make the house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks very nice to me-clean and crisp! I have always thought white or creamy trim looks best on most houses.
Cody

garywayne said...

Cody: I agree about the white trim being clean and crisp, but I don't like the white to be too stark, which is why I'm really digging this antique white. It's just 'dirty' enough to not be sterile, but still creates a nice pop of contrast and cleanliness.