Monday, November 30, 2009

Porch to Foyer Project Day 4

I felt bad, still, today. So I stayed home from work. I decided to get out of the house and drive over to one of the big box stores and see if they had any lighting on sale this afternoon, and on my way stop by my house and take pictures, but I just wasn't up to it. I drove by and then came home.

After I ate something and waited a few hours, I did make it out, but only to the house. And probably only because I was too curious to see what New Guy and his crew were working on today.

At first I wasn't sure what they'd been doing...


And then I realized they were piecing in the siding around the new front door. They'd begun using the new siding last week, but didn't get very much up. And I see they took that little bit down and used the original siding they'd taken off what is now the interior of the Foyer.


And that little detail will make a big difference, reusing the original siding here, since this is the face of the house. It will help it blend in even more and not seem like such an addition.


Here you can see where they measured how the original siding was put up and wrote down the measurements on the door frame. They matched up the boards to the other side of the front porch. If you can zoom in, you'll see each board is actually faced a little differently, not all completely uniform.


This part... concerns me a bit. Not the difference in the original siding and the new, because my house its on a narrow lot and once painted out, will be fine, but rather... this board. That runs along the porch post.


It does stick out. And is obvious. But I'm not going to rush to any conclusions here. Maybe it's a temporary thing, used to get this awkward angle of the narrowing post and the straight, new wall figured out. New Guy won't leave this like this, I'm sure. His other work is too meticulous and perfect, even when its 'imperfect', like matching the siding around the door.


The little bedroom's window. They started replacing the broken or damaged glass and also the glazing (I believe, is the right terminology), which appears white.


The big bedroom's windows.


The single window in the Living Area of the Great Room.


The double windows in the Dining Area of the Great Room.


They also resurfaced the concrete on the back porch.
Which looks much, much better and more uniform.


Inside the Foyer, they began rebuilding the interior walls, which used to be the exterior walls. And they obviously have just started, but this didn't seem quite up to par with New Guy's work, either.

The end product has always been very satisfactory, so I'll wait and see where this is going.


They also put down the second layer of sub-floor in the Foyer. It looks a little off to me, but this was built on a porch. And it may be perfectly level, I don't know. Look at the base of the new wall, how the left side is higher than the floor, but the right is almost level with the new sub-floor.

I'll ask New Guy about these things tomorrow. I didn't catch him down there today, partly because I didn't know if I was still contagious or not. And it is an old house. Once finished out, it may all be fine. I have confidence in his work so far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the front door-very beautiful!
Cody

garywayne said...

That door... was just meant for me.