Monday, June 14, 2010

Dining Room Cabinet: 2 Days Later

I started work on the cabinet Sunday afternoon. I worked on it today after work some more, too. All in all, about 7 and 1/2 hours so far.


Here's the base.


And the two pieces, separated.


I started taking the doors and hardware off.


Here's one side, done completely with a belt sander and steel brush.


And the top of the base, done with the sander, brush, and a 'green' paint stripper I picked up today.


I was skeptical about the 'green' product, but it really does work.
You can see the board in the back that I have barely worked on.
This is from only two applications of the stripper.


The right side seems darker. I don't know if it's from a past water issue or what.
It doesn't bother me. It adds character.


On this side, I wanted to try out the paint stripper by itself.


Followed by a paint scraper. Looks pretty good for only one coat of stripper.

I'm surprised at how much I enjoy this project. It's like unwrapping a present. It doesn't seem like hard work, even though it is. My back and legs and arms are sore from scraping. And the days have been really, really, hot- 96 degrees and above. But still I find myself out there working happily in the shed.

2 comments:

DL said...

This looks like a cool project. Although, 96 degrees? Not so cool! Are you going to finish it in a stain? What kind of wood is it?

We too are savers. Our recent kitchen project has many reclaimed items and they've turned out beautifully.

Keep at it. It will be so special.

http://www.mushroomfactor.com

garywayne said...

It is a pretty cool project! And the weather has been hot, Hot, HOT in South Georgia.

I think I'm going to just go with polyurethane instead of a stain. So far it appears the piece is solid heart pine.

Your kitchen is gorgeous!

Thanks for the comment.