Sunday, June 6, 2010

Yard Day 2010

After five months of almost no work going on down at the house, things are back on track. New Guy contractor that I was using did great work, but his prices kept going up. And his last bids were ridiculous. In addition to that, I had to take some time aside myself to work out funding for the house project. A lot of my readers kept asking me why I wasn't updating and were encouraging me to get back to work, and believe me I wanted to. Thanks for cheering my progress on!

Wednesday, June 2, I had a day off and Mama and I decided that it was time to tackle the yard again. It hadn't gotten horrible, but it definitely needed some attention. Here are the before pictures:

Weedy with debris!


Scraps from the work done last winter.


Overgrown... but is that... a buggy? From Wal-Mart?


Yes. Down South we call grocery carts "buggies". And I suspect my neighbors had something to do with this one being abandoned in front of my house. If you look closer, you'll see a toilet seat too. But I wouldn't look closer if I were you.


The side. sigh. The neighbor on this side is great. She looks out for me. And she always keeps her lawn cut. But she does nothing with this and it's almost completely all on her side of the retaining wall. But I can tame it, and she doesn't care what I do here, so that's a bonus. And at least it's not bamboo!


The yard got so bad even the weeds died... out of spite.
But I did find three or four daylilies, they are the ones to the right of the jungle mess, with the yellow and green leaves. They even want to bloom but the yard was choking them. This was a great surprise and I felt like someone might be smiling down on me and encouraging me.


And so those are the "befores". My camera battery rebelled from non use and decided it was too tired for after pictures, so those will have to come next, in another post.

The good news is that about 5? 6? hours later the yard no longer looked like this. Two very sweaty and tired people later, it was trimmed, mowed, weed-wacked, and tamed. Thank you Mama for all of your help!

No comments: