Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Vapor Barrier Finally Done

I got off work a little early today and headed down to the house to spend a few hours trying to get something, anything, done. And I did. Three hours later I had completely finished putting up the vapor barrier on all the exterior walls.

The little bedroom and its closet.


Same closet seen again through the utility room.


The main bathroom, above the bathtub. This is right next to the little bedroom's closet. The entire closet and where the bathtub sit used to be the closed-in side-porch of the house, but served as apartment 1's hallway when I bought the house.


Master bedroom, above the windows. This looks easy to do, and it's not hard, but on top of a ladder fighting with a utility knife, a hammer stapler, and a sheet of uncooperative vapor barrier is quite intense.


The closet off the master bedroom's bathroom. This closet just about did me in. The ladder wouldn't fit into the space all the way so I was all kinds of cantilevered in there. But I won!


Above the master bedroom's tub. This space was easier, I guess because there was a corner and that piece of a wall?


And the top of the rest of the bathroom, along where the toilet and vanity will be.


Between the last work day and today, we used 5000 staples. Of course some of them escaped or didn't take or went flying across the room. But that's another story. I will tell you this, though, after about 5000 staples, you can really get a good idea of how to use a hammer stapler.


Back out front, as I was leaving, a friend greeted me:

The daylilies seem to be doing much better now that they don't have to compete against the weeds anymore.

They're still a little puny, but they are trying to bloom! And with a little love, and a nice transplant, I think they'll do well in my yard.

But let's get the inside finished first.

I got the estimate from the Sheetrock Guys. It's a go! They'll start as soon as I get the rest of the insulation up, which I plan to get done this weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i havent seen a vapor barrier (wrb) applied like this before. Where are you located and do you have any more info on why it was done like this? great work! upkick at gmail.com