Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dining Room Cabinet Days 5 & 6

Another 11.5 hours of work got me from here:

(front of one set of lower cabinet doors)

to here:


And the back side:


And the other set, front:


and back:



I also began working on the opposite side of the base cabinet, the one with damage.

There's a chunk missing of the lower right hand side. When I used the wire brush on it, it began chipping away due to past water rot or termite damage. I found no active bugs, though. Or dead ones.

Sheetrock Guy is actually a master carpenter. He came over this afternoon to give me some prices on materials for the job and suggest a flooring material. I showed him the my project and he said he could rip down a piece of heart pine, which my Dad has, and create a piece of moulding to cover or camouflage the damage, rather than replacing the whole piece or trying to piece it in.

Once I'd seen the extent of the damage I was let down a bit, but now I have renewed encouragement to continue on because of his solution. It may not cover it completely, but I'm okay with that. It just goes to show the piece has history.

I was actively working on this side when I realized it was after midnight. I decided it was time to clean up, shower, and blog. Especially since I have to work tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it will all come together in the end...these projects always do.

Anonymous said...

I feel you here buddy. We just restored a cabinet from 1904. We are also restoring our house...way to go, my daughter found your blog and I look forward to seeing what you are up to.

Hearing Aids said...

Superb blog post, I have book marked this internet site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future!

latest accessories said...

First time around, and must say that you have a really good work around.