Sunday, June 13, 2010

Introducing: A Side Project

There's a man I know who hardly ever throws anything away. I wouldn't say he's a hoarder, but I do know that he keeps what he sees value in. His wife, however, does not like his collection. In fact, he only has one shed left his back yard to keep his collections in. Three others were torn down.


This man is my father. Throughout any house project, he salvages what otherwise would have been thrown away. While watching television yesterday, I remembered an amazing piece that has been sitting out in the shed for a while.

About 21 years, to be exact.


The shed is not exactly organized, but he and I know if you poke around in there long enough, you can find what you were looking for. Or at least, something similar you can use.


After moving two lawnmowers and some other yard equipment, I began coaxing the piece out.


There it is. The one in the back corner.


I still have to move some more stuff to see what kind of shape it's in.


I have no idea where the drawers are. But I see bead board panels on in the back.

We still need to dig it out some more.


Here's a proper look at the bottom piece. It doesn't seem to be in too bad of shape.


Once the smaller cabinet is moved... You can see it.

This piece was originally built into the butler's pantry in my parents' house.

It's about 120 years old, as old as the house. They had to take it out to make room for a pantry and breakfast room.


The piece actually had to be sawed in half to get it out of the house. So the top part is a hutch now, sitting on the base.


It still has most of the original hardware, but some of it needs to be replaced...

Some of the glass is broken or missing...

And drawers will need to be built...

But it has tremendous potential. I see it as a dining room china cabinet.

Sometimes it's great to hold onto things.

No comments: