Friday, November 13, 2009

New Phase Day 3

Tonight I bring you pictures and progress, namely of the sub-floor variety. I must apologize in advance--- since I closed tonight at work, it was dark when I went by the house, and although I have electricity, I do not have a single light fixture in the house. So, dark, random shots ensue. I am too excited not to post them, house dork or not.


Remember the plywood from yesterday? Where did it go? I was TOO excited to go in the house once I noticed the plywood wasn't there on the porch like it was yesterday.


Even the scrap bits in the yard got me excited! The idea of a floor? A real, level, sturdy floor? In MY house?


This was right when I opened the door. I used the flash to see what I was stepping into or onto. I was very happy to find sub-floors here. This is the small bedroom.


And this is the great room. The black you see is the vapor barrier. A few sheets still need to be put down. New guy laid 3/4 inch plywood in a brick pattern in one direction, and then put down the vapor barrier, and laid 3/4 inch plywood in a brick pattern perpendicular to the first layer of sub-floor. I have 1 and 1/2 inch sub-floors.


They are very, very, very sturdy, solid and level and smooth and perfect. This is the great room looking back toward the front of the house.


And in the corner of the great room looking towards the back. These angles are horrible, but remember I was using the flash just as much to see what they'd done as I was for the actual picture taking. And I was aiming blind in the darkness.


It was almost more exciting that way. This is the kitchen, with scraps here and there, looking towards the back of the house.


Kitchen again, looking towards the front. I know it's not much but these are beautiful pictures to me. The rooms actually look like rooms! And it seems like a HOUSE!


Even the small hall that will become the bathroom and a closet got partially sub-floored.


Somehow I skipped the big bedroom. This is the closet. But you get the general idea, more plywood. But it's so much more than that. So much more.


It's a house again! With floors and rooms! That you can walk on!

Some days are more exciting than others. Sub-floors can change your life.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome back and very exciting stuff going on. I thought you gave up on the blog.

The simple things in life like a sub floor.

Michele

garywayne said...

Thanks! I hadn't given up on the blog, I just took a temporary leave from the house (and the blog). But I'm back and on a roll and it all feels surreal.

Sub floors are a wonderful, wonderful thing.

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I know you're glad to see some progress (finally), and yes it is starting to look like a real house again!
Cody

garywayne said...

I am SO glad! You'll have to come by soon and I'll give you a tour. :o)