Sunday, November 29, 2009

Paint Quest 2nd Attempt

I guess I need to nail down an exterior color scheme since the windows need to be painted before the storms go up.

Here she is as of Wednesday:

My default "will be" colors right now are a gray siding, white trim, and deep cranberry or purple for the sashes.


I found a scheme from Benjamin Moore that I don't mind either, but it's green based. And there are a lot of green houses on my street:

I wouldn't paint my brick columns, but you get the idea. The colors are all Benjamin Moore:

Sea Pine
AC-17
Antique White
OC-83
Horizon Gray
2141-50
Autumn Brown
2099-40


I'd use the Antique White as the trim, and the Horizon Gray as the siding color. The sashes would probably be Sea Pine, though they may be Autumn brown. More likely, though, I could do the porch floor Autumn Brown. My door will stay the stained mahogany that it currently is. The columns would be antique white, like the trim.

Let me state again that these images and paint colors are all copied from Benjamin Moore's website, www.benjaminmoore.com , as to not get into any legal issues.

What do you think about those colors? Should it matter that so many houses on my street are already green? and this shade of green and my idea of gray are so close that they'd read the same anyway.


4 comments:

bkm said...

I love that whole color scheme. I think the green is different enough from the other houses on your street that it wouldn't be a big deal. Also, it's just a trim color, it's not going on your whole house. And I think the porch floor would look great in the Autumn Brown color.

Mostly I'm just excited that you're to the point where you're picking paint colors. Eeeee!

And because I don't really want to go leave a separate comment on the post below this, I just want to say how much I freaking love your doors, front and back. They're goooorgeous.

garywayne said...

bkm: I think you're right about the green being different enough and the whole scheme working so well together for it to work. It isn't as harsh as a gray-based scheme can sometimes be, and still seems natural and earthy, which is what the craftsman idea is all about.

And really? I'm picking out paint colors? I don't know how this happened... so quickly? Haha.

I. heart. my. doors. They were worth the wait, I got a great deal on them, and it was just meant to be. They are better than what I would have picked out, had money not been an option. seriously.

I'm sure I'll pick up some paint samples to try out on the house this week. Stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

I love the colors you have chosen! They are very beautiful colors-no matter which way you use them-they will all work together fine. Also, I say don't worry about what other people on your street have painted their houses-this is YOUR house and you need to do what YOU like and don't worry about anyone else. Hope that helps!
Cody

garywayne said...

Cody: I really like the colors, too. They weren't quite as warm as I was leaning towards originally, but there's just something about them that pleases me. They're mellow and laid back, but still handsome.

And it is *my* house! But sometimes making the decisions all by myself gets overwhelming! Thanks for you comments!