Thursday, November 26, 2009

Porch to Foyer Project Day 3

These pictures were actually taken on Wednesday afternoon. I got off of work early and headed over to my house to document the progress in daylight, this time. Thanksgiving and a stomach virus have delayed my posting.

The front of the house and porch in daylight. True, the porch
is smaller, but still, I have quite a decent sized porch. And the Foyer addition fits the house, as does the height of the door. And I also now have a back porch, too, which is more private and will probably be used more than this one.


My huge, over-sized door. It makes
me happy.


I still can't believe that all of this can continue to come out of my house, with everything else that has been demo'ed the past 2 years. But at least this will be firewood for the workers instead of going into a landfill or dump.


A view down the side of the house, the side that faces the neighbor's backyard. Notice the siding on the new Foyer.


And here is where we closed in the bottom part of the window in the small bedroom.


And where we removed the side door that had been 'fixed' into place all these years.


The siding under the big bedroom's windows.


And where the original window was removed from the closet and put into the kitchen. I've been told that there is a better way of doing siding, but it involves removing almost all of the siding in the area and staggering the joints so that the area replaced is less noticeable. Quite frankly, this looks fine to me, will look even better once painted out, and is probably a lot cheaper than going the other route. I am on a budget after all. And in the end, I will have the same weatherproof, air-tight, result.


Looking back down the side of the house towards the front.


This picture almost makes me as happy as my front door. To remember what was here- a rotting bathroom and small porch full of hot water heaters and junk- to being a nice, big, open, airy porch.


They still are going to resurface the concrete before they're done, and finish the last bit of siding at the bottom and pull the wooden forms from around the concrete. I want to have this closed in to be a screened in porch.


And here's the new kitchen window, borrowed from the closet. Looks like it belongs here.


This is where the kitchen window was.


Here are the double windows in the big bedroom. They may look a little funky, but once the drywall is up and they are trimmed out, they will be perfect. I'm about 6'3'' and the bottom of the windows come up to my shoulder. Perfect privacy and security.


Where the side door was in the house, all patched in now. A bathtub unit will be here along this wall.


The closed in window in the little bedroom. This room will gain the most from having the extra wall space below it, to put a dresser or a bed, or a desk. Still plenty of natural light and the prettiest part of the windows.


They removed the exterior siding from what was the porch, and so now just the studs are up between the great room and the Foyer.


Here's looking into the Foyer from the great room. We opted not to put a window in this wall, partly because there's nothing to look at, and partly because the glass in the door is so big that it lets in plenty of light. And it allows more room for a entry table or mirror or hall tree or coat rack or whatever. Plenty of options.


Here is the double wall area I was talking about in the Foyer, the same wall we were just looking at. This is below what was the porch's header. It will be double filled with insulation. And the walls will all be flush inside the foyer, with no weirdness.


Looking out the front door. It seems dark because it's so bright, which most of my pictures seem to be. My little house is full of light and the camera has a hard time compensating for that, so they all come out dark, mostly.

I'm still weak today from the stomach virus, but am looking forward to tomorrow and work starting on the house again. The guys were off Thursday and Friday and the weekend for Thanksgiving.

Most of this next week's work will be finishing up the details of the foyer, like the siding on the outside and the sub-floor on the inside. And hopefully the other main focus will be the windows, fixing them all into place, repairing them, replacing the glass, and painting them in order to put up the storm windows.

No comments: