Monday, November 16, 2009

New Phase Day 4

When I got to the house today, I immediately noticed the scrap lumber from what appeared to be siding, so I walked right around to the side of the house where I found:


This section pieced in where they had to replace the sill, and a few random boards here and there replaced.


And also this cast iron vent pipe that went to no where (seriously, it wasn't connected to anything and hadn't been in a long, long time when I bought the house) partially torn down, in order to get to the work done on the small window that was here by the double windows in the dining area.


This might be a better shot. I think this is a concrete board, but it has a texture imprinted on it to match wood siding. Once painted, I'm told it will blend in pretty seamlessly. It will just be a little smoother than the boards around it.

But my favorite surprise was when I walked completely around to the back and saw this:

The back porch area! The wall that had to be rebuilt has been open for... 8 months, maybe? And today it was dressed with siding. The rest of the old porch floor has been removed, the beams replaced, and new posts in place.


I was surprised at how big this little porch area is. It had been a bathroom and where two huge hot water heaters were when I bought it, but now, almost back in place, it's just going to be a really nice porch.


New guy got around this far with the new siding, which is the back wall of the bigger bedroom's closet.


Here's the view to off the back porch area. I have one neighbor and then a city park that takes up a good block, beyond that an old historical cemetery. Both beautiful places. I'll just have to keep my neighbor's bushes trimmed so I can see.


Inside the kitchen looking out of the partially covered back wall.


And the inside of the bigger bedroom's closet, the other back porch wall. I thought how these boards were pieced in around and behind the existing roof was interesting.


And here in the dining room, you can clearly see where the random small window was.


Also, we're making efforts to close up the house, and so New Guy has made a makeshift window to replace the one that was taken down.


I am still very excited. And so much is happening. I just kept walking around the rooms today, imaging living there, trying to think about the layout of the kitchen, and in general, being in a state of disbelief that what I saw 2 and 1/2 years ago in my mind, I can actually walk through.

Amazing.

No comments: