Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Time Between Phases...

I met with New Guy at the house today. We spent an hour walking around, talking about things like plumbing fixture placement in bathrooms, where the new panel box should go, ceiling textures, foyer dressing, moulding, windows, and the front porch.

Now, I'm not quite ready for the finishing touches, but we got the conversation started. And I have been given the task of picking exterior colors, since the windows will be started on shortly, and I need to pick those out pronto (the exterior will be painted before the storm windows go up). Within two weeks. I know what I want, I just don't have a name for it.

Monday they'll start on the process of closing in part of the porch for the foyer, and this is the project I'm most excited about so far! I can't wait to see my new front door up!

And we talked about railings... My house had little to none when I bought it. Just some sad 2x4s nailed up hurriedly. I've been driving around looking for similar houses or ones from the same period and haven't really seen anything that caught my eye. I knew I wanted something linear (using an outline to create a shape), but not spindles, and didn't really want to settle for the square spindles. New Guy suggested I ride by this house--- he'd done work here, too--- and he said he thought they'd be perfect.


Here's a picture of my house (from 06/22/2008) and the one below is the railing we're thinking about adding. So you get an idea. We're adding just the railing.


Kind of hard to see, but I took these after work.

The design is like this

|X|X|X|X|

I think it will look really good, if not perfect. I wanted something different, and this design is simple and timeless. I think once the foyer is done, it will be gorgeous. And will all make sense.

I'm off now to research my paint ideas and colors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks